How to Determine the Size of a Self Storage Unit You Need
When you are considering using a self-storage unit, it can be challenging to determine what size unit you will need. You don’t want to pay for a unit that is too large, but you also don’t want to rent a unit that is too small and have to squeeze everything in. In this article, we will provide some tips and guidelines to help you determine the size of self-storage unit you will need.
- Take inventory of your items
- The first step in determining the size of your storage unit is to take inventory of all the items you want to store. Make a list of everything you want to store, including furniture, appliances, boxes, and any other items. Group similar items together to get a better idea of how much space you will need.
- Consider the type of items you will be storing
- The type of items you will be storing will also impact the size of the unit you will need. For example, if you are storing mostly boxes, you may be able to use a smaller unit than if you are storing furniture and appliances. Additionally, if you are storing sensitive items such as antiques or electronics, you may need a climate-controlled unit, which may be larger than a regular unit.
- Measure your larger items
- If you are storing furniture, appliances, or other large items, it is essential to measure them to determine how much space they will take up in the unit. Measure the length, width, and height of each item to get an accurate idea of how much space they will need.
- Consider stacking
- When you are packing your items into the storage unit, you can save space by stacking items. However, it is essential to stack them safely to prevent damage. Consider the weight of the items you are stacking, and make sure to stack the heaviest items on the bottom. You should also consider leaving a small gap between stacks to allow for air circulation.
- Look at storage unit sizes
- Storage unit sizes can vary widely, so it is important to look at the different sizes offered by the storage facility you are considering. Most storage facilities offer units ranging in size from small closets to large garages. Keep in mind that the size of the unit will impact the monthly rental cost, so you don’t want to rent a unit that is larger than what you need.
- Ask for help
- If you are unsure about what size unit you will need, don’t hesitate to ask for help from the storage facility staff. They are experienced in helping customers determine what size unit they will need and can provide valuable advice and guidance.
In conclusion, determining the size of the self-storage unit you will need requires careful consideration of the items you will be storing, their size, and how you plan to stack them. By following the tips and guidelines outlined in this article, you can make an informed decision and choose the right size unit for your needs. Remember to take inventory of your items, measure larger items, consider stacking, look at storage unit sizes, and ask for help from the storage facility staff if you need it.